I loved The weird and wonderful world of words also by Charles Hope. Here is a new book with answers to a random set of tricky questions.
When I was young one of my favourite books was called the Every Child's answer book. It also posed the 'big questions'. Here are some of the expected and unexpected questions you will find in this new book :
- Why don't fish die when lightning strikes the ocean?
- Why does the wind blow?
- How do giraffes drink?
- Why is the sky blue?
- Why does cutting onions make people cry?
- How much are the elements in my body worth?
- How many countries are there?
- Where is up?
- Why did Pluto stop being a planet?
This might be a good book to use with a class - you could explore one question each day and then use it as a springboard to other questions and research.
One attractive feature of this book is the way each question page is presented on a different colour. Beginning with yellow and working through all the hues right up to red and orange.