Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Lightning Jack by Glenda Millard illustrated by Patricia Mullins


Here is a book produced by two great Australian talents. Glenda Millard - author of the wonderful Silk series and Patricia Mullins who makes horses come to life through her energetic  illustrations made using tissue paper collage.  This book has been short listed for our 2013 CBCA Awards.

The story is told in a rhyme and at times I felt like I was reading a Banjo Paterson poem :

"Sam Tully eyed the brumbies at the muster in the park 
and among them as they galloped he saw one that stood apart
from the other colts and fillies, duns, dapples, browns and bays;
a stallion, black as midnight, on his brow a jagged blaze.
A gallant horse, a midnight horse,
a horse called Lightning Jack."

This book would make an excellent gift for an overseas friend.  It is filled with wonderful Australian references such as Ned Kelly, Phar Lap, stringybark trees and sulphur-crested cockatoos.  It would be wonderful to record someone like Jack Thompson reading this book aloud.

There is a terrific link between this book and The Carousel by Ursula Dubosarsky.  In our school library we have many other books illustrated by Patricia Mullins including one I especially love - the counting book One Horse waiting for me.  We will also revisit all the diverse and wonderful picture books written by Glenda Millard.  How special she must feel to have two books on the short list.

Tonight I made an amazing discovery.  Glenda Millard has quoted this blog ... my blog ... on her own web site!   I feel very honored.

I talked about Patricia Mullins and her horses when I reviewed Jerry in this blog - take a look.

No comments: