Sunday, October 28, 2012

Dear Fairy Godmother by Michael Rosen illustrated by Nick Sharratt


Well it has been way too long since I shared my reading on my blog.  No real excuses except for an extended trip overseas which included the fabulous IBBY Congress, followed by massive computer issues which are now resolved in the form of a new machine!

I have read so many books and over the next few weeks I will try to share as many of them as I can starting with a terrific picture book I purchased from the bookseller at the IBBY Congress. I have chosen to start with this because I seem to have purchased quite a few post modern picture books that use fairy tales as their basis.  Also this one is by Michael Rosen and he spoke at the IBBY Congress and I found the courage to actually speak to him.  If you know the book Hairy Tales and Nursery Crimes (long out of print sadly) then it will make sense to know I said to Michael Rosen that I like to drink orange wash and I keep food in my sneezer!  Michael's presentation at the Congress was energetic, thought-provoking and utterly fabulous.

Dear Fairy Godmother is a lift the flap book but don’t let this device mislead you … this is a great read for all the family and for readers themselves from pre-school to upper primary.  The structure is quite simple. Each well known fairy tale character such as The Gingerbread Boy, the Giant, the Ugly Duckling and so on writes a letter to the Fairy Godmother seeking her advice.

Here is an example that made me smile
"DEAR FAIRY GODMOTHER  A LITTLE BOY KEEPS COMING UP MY BEANSTALK AND I’D LIKE US TO BE FRIENDS. I KEEP CALLING OUT “FEE FI FO FUM” BUT EVERY TIME HE SEES ME, HE RUNS AWAY.  WHAT CAN I DO?  GIANT
Dear Giant No wonder he keeps running away if you keep shouting FEE FI FO FUM! It’s really scary! Try saying Fum fee fo fi come and try my apple pie … and see what happens."

Another of the fairy tale books I bought is Goldilocks and just the one bear by Leigh Hodgkinson.  More on this one next time.  Also on the horizon I will talk about the Tillerman books by Cynthia Voigt which I have recently revisited and thoroughly enjoyed.

1 comment:

kinderbooks said...

Welcome back. Good to see you writing again.